Monday, July 15, 2013

Lemon Pie with Jell-o

This is from the recipe drawer of Maxine.  I was so excited when I came across this recipe, mostly because it is interesting to find a recipe that is not in Maxine's handwriting.  It was on a folded piece of paper and on the folded side it read:  "Lemon Pie with Jello - For Maxine"


So I was curious the whole time I was reading through the recipe who might have written it.  At the very bottom of the recipe is written the word:  "Grandmother"   So we have it narrowed down to either her Grandmother Schlaefli or her Grandmother Bayles.  I am not sure which grandmother she received this recipe from, but if anyone reading this knows which great grandmother was famous for Lemon Pie, please let me know.  Either way...it is so exciting to have something handwritten by one of these great ladies.


1 pk of Lemon Jello
1/2 cup boiling water

Stir good.

1 1/2 cup sugar with juice of 2 lemons & some grated rind.

Put this in the Jello mixture.
Stir & put in ice box to chill & congeal.

Have can of Milnot cream cold.  (I remember my mom buying Milnot when she was going to make ice cream.  I think you can find this canned milk in the baking aisle at the grocery store.)

Empty in large bowl & whip
When the Jello is molded not real hard, whip good & mix with the whipped cream & whip real good

Have pan lined with:

Crushed vanilla wafers.

Pour in the mixture on crushed wafers.
Also sprinkle some on top.
Set in ice box to chill before serving.
Keeps nicely for several days.

Grandmother

I think that the combo of the fresh lemon juice and zest would greatly intensify the lemon flavor.  I'm sure this will be quite tart.  I am just wondering if it wouldn't be better to melt a little butter to mix with the vanilla wafers to make the crust.  You know...there is only one way to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment