Friday, July 26, 2013

Goldie's Cole Slaw

This is from the recipe drawer of Maxine.  I'm not sure who Goldie was, but apparently Maxine liked her Cole Slaw enough to write it down and put it in her drawer.  If any of you do know who Goldie was, please let me know.

I have never been one to like Cole Slaw myself.  I just don't enjoy dishes with a substantial amount of mayonnaise.  But I do understand that this is a popular dish for picnics and BBQ's.  So if you like some crunchy Cole Slaw on the side at your summer shindig, give this recipe a try!


8 c cabbage -- shredded
1/8 t. garlic powder
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
3/4 c. real mayonnaise

Mix together, let stand several hours or overnight.
(Just to be on the safe side, with this much mayonnaise, I would add... let stand in the refrigerator several hours or overnight.)

5 comments:

  1. Goldie's is a famous Tulsa, OK restaurant chain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lived in Tulsa about half my life and ate this coleslaw at Goldie's Patio Restaurant many times! It's good enough to make a meal out of. All you need are a few saltines - it's mildly peppery as is but I add extra pepper to mine when I eat it. It's also better with just a smidgen of sugar - I put in about 2 tsp, not 2 tbsp. Too sweet. This is a savory slaw. One more thing & then it's perfect - 1 (or 2) tsp dill pickle juice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would use the bread and butter (sweet pickles) juice?

      Delete
    2. You do!! Used to work there. They add a little of sweet bread and butter pickle juice!!

      Delete
  3. Thank you guys for that information I've been wanting to know how they made their coleslaw for years it is different it is very good

    ReplyDelete