Monday, August 12, 2013

Hummingbird Cake

This is from the recipe drawer of Maxine.  Hummingbird Cake...it is certainly a traditional, southern dessert.  This is my sister's favorite cake.  And since her birthday is this month, I thought this recipe would be appropriate. I remember my mom making this cake, but only on very special occasions.


3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 - 8 oz. can crushed pineapple
2 cups chopped bannana
1 cup nuts

1.  Sift dry ingredients together.
2.  Add all others
3.  Stir until mixed well - do not beat
4.  Bake in 10" tube pan 350 degree oven 1 hour 10 mins or until cooked.  Cool in pan.

Frosting

2 - 3 oz. cream cheese - softened
1 stick margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
1 box confectionery sugar

Since I knew that this was my sister's favorite cake, and I have actually made it for her a couple of times from a recipe my mom gave me, I thought I would look up her recipe and see if there was very much of a difference.  What I found was an almost identical recipe...the only differences were these:

*2 cups of nuts instead of 1
*Bake in 3 layer cake pans instead of a tube pan.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
*Basically double the frosting recipe:  2 - 8 oz packages of cream cheese, 2 sticks of margarine, 2 tsp. vanilla and 2 boxes of confectionery sugar.  This will be enough to frost the three-layer cake.

By the way... I can highly recommend this cake, but be careful... it is very rich!

No comments:

Post a Comment