Sunday, April 13, 2014

Applesauce Cake

This is from the recipe drawer of Maxine.  As I was looking through some of the recipes, trying to decide which recipe to post next, I came across this applesauce cake.  I recognized this recipe as one that I had written in my own recipe journal.  Mine is written down as "Great-Grandma Schaefli's Applesauce Cake."  I got this recipe from my husband's grandmother, Lola, Maxine's mom, and the daughter of Ada Mae Schaefli.

I also found two recipes in Maxine's drawer for this.  One you can tell was well worn and used and the other one was on a nice card and written in Maxine's handwriting.  I am making an educated guess, but I would suppose that the other one is written in either Lola or Ada Mae's handwriting and that Maxine put it in her drawer after Lola passed away.











I don't remember exactly, but I am sure I must have gotten the recipe from Lola, as mine is just the list of ingredients with the cooking time and temperature.  Maxine's copy also has some instructions with it.  So I will definitely want to try this cake again and try the instructions and see how it comes out.


1/2 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. apple sauce
1 c. raisins
1 c. pecans
1 egg
2 c. flour
1 t. cinnimon
1/2 t. allspice
1/2 t. cloves
1/4 t. nutmeg
2 t soda (baking soda)
1/4 c. hot water

Cream shortening and sugar.  Add egg.  Stir in applesauce.  Add flour and spices and mix well.  Pour in raisins that have been cooked slightly over low flame.  Mix soda with 1/4 c. hot water and add to mixture.  Add nuts and mix well.   Bake 45 minutes   375 degrees

May bake in Angel food cake pan or Bundt pan.

I have made this cake in the past with success and also without success.  I am hoping that the addition of these instructions will make it come out great every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment