Friday, March 14, 2014

Mystery Sauce

This is from the recipe drawer of Pauline.  Well, today we have a mystery!  You can certainly tell by looking at these ingredients that this is a sauce or a gravy of some kind.  However, the main liquid ingredient is missing and there is no title on this piece of paper.

I think I mentioned before that my grandma Pauline worked for a while at the school cafeteria.  This recipe is certainly a high quantity recipe, certainly more than you would make just for your family dinner.  Of course, remembering how much food my dad, uncle, grandpa and cousins could put away, this may have just been a recipe she had for our Sunday dinners.

If anyone has any ideas about this mystery, I would certainly love to hear your thoughts.
*8 c. (what do you think this mystery ingredient is)
*16 tbsp flour
*8 tbsp parsley
*1 sp celery salt (teaspoon??)
*16 tbsp butter
*8 tbsp onion
*8 bay leaves
*8 cloves
*pepper

So that is it...just a list of ingredients and no directions.  This seems like a sauce or gravy to me because of the butter, flour and 8 c. of something??  With the onions, celery salt and parsley, my best and first guess is a poultry gravy, and using 8 c. of chicken stock/broth.  But I haven't ever heard of a bay leaf or cloves in a gravy.

Let me hear from you... can't wait to hear what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment