Thursday, January 2, 2014

Holiday Punch

This is from the recipe drawer of Pat.  This week especially, I have been thinking back about New Years past.  I remember that New Year's Day was always a big celebration in my family.  We always went to my Grandma Adams' house (Pauline).  My cousins were always there and we would have a big dinner and stay all day, eat, play games, and go home way after dark.  I remember watching the parades while we got ready in the morning and my mom would be making some dish or dishes to take.  It didn't take long to get to my grandma's house, so we would finish watching the parades with my cousins when we got there.
One thing that we always knew would be there was Holiday Punch.  Now if I remember correctly, my mom probably got this recipe from my aunt and uncle, because I seem to remember that my uncle was always "in charge" of the punch.  But this is her copy of the recipe.

*2 large cans unsweetened pineapple juice
*1/2 can frozen orange juice
*1/2 can " (frozen) lemon juice
*1/3 can frozen lime juice
*2 large bottles ginger ale
*1 large bottle club soda
*sugar to taste

Prepare punch.
Chill in freezer just prior to serving.
Float ice-ring in punch while serving.






You can see that this recipe has been made over and over many times.  It is quite stained.  And another interesting thing about this recipe is that it was written on a checking deposit slip; probably just the only paper that could be found when my mom wrote it down.

There is probably a couple of amounts here that are worth mentioning.  In the 70's there were not 2 liter bottles of ginger ale nor of club soda.  Large bottles were closer to a one liter size.

There is no mention here on the front or back of this recipe about how to make the mentioned "ice-ring".  I do remember making these when we made this punch.  We always used a bundt pan so that the ice ring would have beautiful scalloped edges.  Slice up oranges, lemons, and limes and lay them down in the bundt pan.  Sometimes I remember my mom putting maraschino cherries in the very bottom of the pan.
Gently fill water to cover the fruit being careful not to displace any pattern you made with the fruit.  Place in the freezer to make the ice.  When you are ready to serve the punch, run water over the bundt pan and the ice ring should pop out.
This tangy punch has wonderful memories... I am wishing I had some right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment