Thursday, January 2, 2014

Cranberry Salad

This is from the recipe drawer of Pat.  Cranberry Jell-o Salad has been a staple on our Thanksgiving table since I can remember.  I believe my mom told me that she got this recipe from one of her friends and neighbors in Inola, OK in the late 60's.  We are actually getting a two for one with this recipe, as it is my mom's recipe, but I am pretty sure that this is my sister, Trudi's handwriting.  As you can see from this picture, this recipe has been made a lot.  You can always tell the good ones by the number of stains on the paper.


*1 lg. box Cherry Jello
*2 cups boiling water
*1 can whole cranberry sauce
*1 can plain cranberry sauce
*1 small can crushed pineapple
*juice of pineapple + water = 1 cup
*1 cup chopped celery
*1 orange - chopped
*1 cup pecans - chopped
*1/2 cup coconut (optional)

Dissolve Jello in water.  Add to the cranberry sauces.  Mash with potato masher.  Add remaining ingredients.  Stir all together.  Refrigerate.  Best if prepared 24 to 48 hrs. before serving.  Makes 10 cups.

This is different than many cranberry salad recipes.  The celery and pecans make it really crunchy.  I can vouch for this one... you should give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. One thing that really stands out with these recipes is the penmanship. Beautiful handwriting.

    ReplyDelete