Friday, October 25, 2013

Raw Apple Cake

This is from the recipe drawer of Pat.  I'm not sure where my mom got this recipe originally, but she used to make it often.  It was the favorite cake of my dad's best friend, Bill.  My dad and and Bill were truck drivers and often hauled apples.  We usually had several bags of chopped frozen apples in our freezer from their trips to the northwest.

Bill, became my father-in-law and like father, like son.  This is my husband's favorite cake as well, so it was important for me to have this recipe.  I don't have this recipe written in my mom's handwriting, but here it is:

3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
3 c. apples; peeled, cored and chopped
1 1/2 c. chopped nuts, (optional)
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 T. vanilla

*Mix dry ingredients
*Add apples; and nuts (optional)
*In a separate small bowl, combine oil, eggs & vanilla
*Add to main mixture
*Stir with spoon or spatula; do not use mixer
*Grease and flour a tube pan or a 13 x 9 baking dish
*Bake at 350 degrees; tube pan - 1 hour; 13 x 9 - 45 min

There is a secret to making this the awesome cake that it can be.  You have to hide it.  Oh... it is good if you eat it the same day that you bake it.  But make it a day ahead and once it is completely cooled, put a lid on your pan if it has one, or cover it with plastic wrap.  Hide it!  If someone knows you have the cake, they might sneak a bite.  If you can manage to keep it until the next day, you will taste the most amazingly moist cake.  Just before you serve it dust lightly with powdered sugar.

1 comment:

  1. So I visited with my mom after I posted this recipe and she said that she got the recipe from the church ladies' group cookbook, Church of God, 7th Day, Claremore, OK. The name of the lady that had submitted the recipe was Edna Harrison. Thanks Edna!! Awesome cake!

    ReplyDelete