Sunday, September 29, 2013

"Sock It To Me" Cake

This is from the recipe drawer of Pat.  This is a cake that my mom used to make on special occasions. It is an interesting recipe, as this was one of the first cakes I remember her making in a bundt pan.  It also doesn't have a traditional frosting, but instead has a glaze.

Combine:
1 Box Duncan Hinds Butter Cake Mix
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs, well beaten
1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup nuts
1/2 pt. sour cream

Mix together:
     1 tablespoon brown sugar
     1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pour half of batter in pan.  Sprinkle half of sugar mixture over batter.  Pour other half and sprinkle rest of mixture.  Bake 325 for 1 hour.
While cake is warm glaze with:
     1 cup powdered sugar
     3 tablespoon milk
     1/2 teaspoon vanilla
     1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring

Now that I really look at this recipe, I don't know if I ever remember seeing a "butter" cake recipe or "butter" flavoring.  Guess that is something that I am going to have to look for the next time I am at the store.  Curious if they still have those.

Next time you need a cake for company or to take to a pot luck, give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment